This post is also available in: polski
Mt. Grodziec (389 m) is a remarkable solitary hill in the northern part of the Kaczawskie Foothills, seen from considerable distance thanks to its 100 m height. Geologically, it is composed of nephelinite which is a volcanic rock similar to basalt. Volcanic activity occurred some 32 million years ago, in the early phase of Cenozoic volcanism in the region.
The flat hilltop is occupied by the ruins of Grodziec castle – one of the most extensive in the Sudetes. The earliest note about the castle comes from 1155. Since 1470 it belonged to Frederic the First, Duke of Legnica, who ordered its enlargement to serve as his residence. The preserved spatial layout of the castle dates to that period. During the Thirty Years War it was conquered by imperial forces commanded by Albrecht Wallenstein and burnt. In the period of Romanticism rebuilding was attempted and the site became tourist attraction. Further work took place in the early 20th century. After World War II the castle was abandoned and suffered from fire in 1951. Partial restoration occurred in the 1960s. Nowadays the main buildings and the former castle chapel are available for sightseeing, whereas a viewing terrace was opened on the castle tower. To the south of the Upper Castle a bailey is located, surrounded by walls with several watchtowers and one detached round tower in the south-eastern corner.