This post is also available in: polski
The most valuable historical monument in Jawor is the Church of Peace. Along with a similar Church of Peace in Świdnica, it was listed as UNESCO World Heritage in 2001. The origin of the church dates back to the Treaty of Westphalia (1648) which ended the Thirty Years War and granted limited rights to Protestants living in otherwise Catholic lands. To comply with the regulations, any church had to be built from materials of low durability (timber, clay, straw), without stone or metal elements, or any decorative elements outside, beyond the town perimeter but at the distance of cannon shot. No towers were allowed and the entire building activity had to be completed in one year. The church in Jawor was built in 1645–55 using half-timbered construction. It is 44 m long and 20 m wide. Two levels of galleries were built inside, but another two were added in the early 18th century. After this extension, the church could accommodate about 6,000 people.
The interior is richly decorated, which is not typical for protestant churches. Worth attention are primarily paintings on the fronts of the galleries. On the second and fourth level they show biblical scenes from Old Testament (71 paintings) and New Testament (72 paintings). On the first and third level are heraldic shields, emblems of guilds and landscape scenes. The main altar is from 1672. The pulpit, supported by the statue of an angel carrying the Gospel, was built in 1670. Constructional elements were painted with plant motives.