This post is also available in: polski
Apart from other sites of interest, historical churches significantly contribute to the heritage of Złotoryja. The most valuable one is Nativity of Virgin Mary church, close to the town square. It is a large, three-nave building, with two towers at the opposite ends, nearly 50 m long and 14.6 m high in the main nave. Construction started in the first half of the 13th century and the Romanesque chancel and transept date to that period. Since the late 13th century until the 18th century the church was in care of St John’s Order. Although two towers were planned for the west front, only one was completed. The eastern tower, 63 m high, was added in 1482. It is now open to the public as a viewing spot. In the exterior one should notice elaborately carved portals and tombstones. The highlights of the church interior are symbolic tombstones of Valentin Trozendorf and Hieronymus Wildenberg in the chancel, Renaissance pulpit, Baroque main altar and 17th century galleries in side naves and the transept. The second church within the old town is the Baroque Saint Hedwig church with adjacent Franciscan cloister. In front of the building is the statue of St John the Nepomuk, erected in 1732, and richly decorated Gothic pillar shrine. On the Góra Mikołaja hill, to the north from old town, stands Saint Nicolas church, which is a 14th century building.