The surroundings of the village of Leszczyna in the north-eastern part of the Kaczawskie Foothills are known for the long history of mining. Mineral resources are associated primarily with Permian sedimentary rocks. The succession begins with sandstones and conglomerates of Lower Permian (Rotliegendes), followed by Upper Permian (Zechstein) limestones and marls, and then by sandstones and claystones. The focus of prospectors was on copper-bearing marls. The beginnings of organized mining date to the second half of the 16th century, whereas in the following centuries exploitation was frequently suspended and then resumed anew. Stone industry developed in the second half of the 19th century, when sandstones and limestones were quarried, the latter used to produce quicklime in numerous lime kilns. Just prior to World War II building of a deep copper mine west of the village began, operational from 1939 until purposeful flooding of the mine at the end of the war. Mining resumed in 1950, as “Lena” mine, and continued until 1974.
Mining traditions are recalled by the Mining and Metallurgy Open-Air Museum. Its most visible exhibit is the reconstructed twin lime kiln, composed of two towers and dated to 1872. Next to it one can visit the Hall of Mining Traditions. An annual event “Dymarki Kaczawskie” (Kaczawa Bloomery) is organized in the museum, aimed to recreate old methods of ore processing. An educational trail “Leszczyna Syncline” starts here and winds across an area of the former “Ciche Szczęście” mine (Silent Luck), connecting 18 stops with information panels.